Sunday, November 14, 2010

He's 3 and a First!!

Due to events that happened afterwards, I'm late getting this out.
Evan turned three on November 9th!! We had a fun party for him on his birthday. I wanted to do it on a weekend but so glad we did it when we did. I didn't get a lot of pictures but what we have, we will treasure.
Matt and I were getting him excited for his birthday since he's old enough to understand. Times like these make it fun to be a parent. Evan wanted to be three so bad so he would tell everyone that he was three before his birthday actually came. We kept telling him it wasn't till Tuesday so eventually he started saying he will be three on Tuesday.
On the day of his birthday he woke up to Balloons everywhere. He saw them and he would say, "it's my birthday!!" I could hear him sing Happy Birthday to himself throughout the day. It was making me get really excited about his party but the first thing I had to do was get him to take a nap. I didn't want him to be cranky. I told him he must take a nap and afterwards we'll head to Grandma Thompson's for his Birthday Party. Luckily he did.
When I heard him wake up I opened his door and he had the biggest smile on his face. He knew it was time to party!
We had a Cars party for him.

He loved his cake and couldn't wait to eat it. We had delicious food, soups and salads. We had The Cars movies playing on the projector. The little kids loved it while the adults could talk.
After we all got our fill on food we got to watch the kids play with the Pinata. We didn't break it the traditional way since we had a group of pretty young kids. There were a number of strings hanging from it and one of them would open the bottom door. They were too quick for me so I didn't get a picture of them pulling on them. Daxton got it on the second attempt after Evan tried.

Candy!!

Evan likes the fact that he gets to keep Lightening McQueen.
We then opened up his mountain of presents. We have no idea what we will get him for Christmas now.

Toy cars were the hot item.

He couldn't get enough of this Cars Birthday Card. It plays "Life is a Highway". He would open it between each gift.

Last but not least, cake and ice cream!


Here are a few more pictures from the party that I think are cute.







Do you guys notice that Evan isn't really smiling in any of the pictures? As much as Evan was so excited about his party, I couldn't help but notice that Evan wasn't all there. The card brought out the smile in him but nothing much did. After we sang Happy Birthday to him he had a few licks of the icing on his cake and then he went into the living room and crashed!

This is very odd behavior if he had a nap and I knew he did because I checked in on him. He slept, maybe 30 mins before he was accidently woken up. He wasn't happy and he was slightly warm. After he was given a blessing and everything was gathered, we headed home. He slept in his own bed for a few hours but ended up in our bed. Matt and I didn't get much sleep that night. Alex was also having troubles sleeping unless he was with us. Matt was close to taking Evan to the ER but he would calm down and fall back asleep. By next morning Evan was his usual self. Since he wasn't all there while opening his presents he noticed all his toys. He was in heaven from the looks of it so I didn't think it was necessary to take him to the Doctors. Thursday was the same till he was put down for a nap. He woke up an hour or so later screaming like he did on his Birthday, but with a barky cough. He was slightly warm again but not much of a fever. I kept debating on if I should get him seen because his cough wasn't as bad after a while. In the end I made an appointment for a few hours later. Before going I checked Evan's temp again and it was only 98 something. We waited forever since they were down one doctor. He spiked a fever during that time to 101.4. You could tell he was sick at that point. I felt so helpless. It wasn't much of a mystrey that he has croup. He was given a steroid shot so his air passage ways would open up more for him so he barely had a voice. He also has a sore throat. He was tested for strep but it came back negative. I've never seen Evan sick like this. I guess there's always a first. Since Alex was with me he was also seen. This made his 4th appointment. Since he's been 4 months he been very congested off and on and his skin has rashes everywhere that will clear up with steroid cream but will come back just as bad. His ears aren't draining but they weren't infected this time around, all though I'm sure they are now. The pedi ordered blood work to see if he's allergic to anything that I'm eating. We got those done right away at the UV Hospital. He hated it! I hated it too. Nothings worse than seeing your kid being held down against his will and being poked. That night was better than before but we still didn't get a lot of sleep. Friday was even worse than Tuesday night. Alex started throwing up what he ate because he would cough so hard. Saturday was a struggle to get him to eat anything and once he did, it came back up. I ended up calling his pediatrician to see if he needed to be seen but I just needed to watch for his breathing and if he didn't pee within a 12 hour period. We're doing all we can for both our boys. During that phone call I got to hear the test results for Alex. He was tested for egg yolk, egg whites, milk, wheat, nuts and protein. All came back normal so no diet changes for me :). Tuesday is their 3rd year and 6 month well check ups so we'll see how everything is going for both. Evan is getting better so I'm not worried about him anymore. Alex is the same so I hope we can pin point what’s going on with him.

3 comments:

Aubrey Jane said...

Yikes! No fun - the being sick part, the party looked like a blast though! I hope everyone is feeling better SOOOOON.

dawn said...

You were right about him scoring he got a ton of gifts! And You can tell he didnt look well in the photos poor lil guys I hope they are getting better!

Amy G said...

Aw, so sorry about them being sick. All three of ours have been sick, and not with the same thing, even. It's sad. As far as Alex's skin, Stephen also needed Steroid cream and we have a fragrance-free lotion Nu Skin makes that the Doc said to use as well. It's works great, spreads well and is gentle. I'll bring you by a bottle!