Friday, July 06, 2012

Philmont Day 7 and 8

Thursday was our last full day at Philmont :(.
Matt woke up bright and early to go on a hike with the Perry's and Sis. Strain. They woke up at 4:00 to hike Lovers Leap to watch the Sunset. I would have loved to come but I love my sleep and I didn't want someone to have to take care of our boys when they woke up, so I got a full nights sleep :).


When I woke up, this day had to be my favorite morning.
I was worried about leaving Alex because of what happened yesterday but the head Nursery Instructor reassured me that he will be fine and they will make the best of it. They're awesome! Matt also helped by telling me that he will go get the boys from their classes before he goes to his second meeting just in case I didn't come back in time, which I didn't. This was my first activity outside the compound. I got picked from the lottery to ride horses :) We got started late due to some scouts out riding during almost half of our time there but I thought it turned out great because it didn't make us be on the horses for a long time to make myself hurt. I didn't walk funny :). I had a lot of fun on my horse named Dragon Fly. She was beautiful!
 It was a beautiful day too!
Here's the group of ladies I got to ride with.
 
Luckily I got back before Matt's next meeting. I just played with the boys waiting for him so we can eat lunch together. Alex had a great morning in Nursery so there was nothing to worry about.
After Lunch we took the boys back to their classes and I headed to the last meeting for the spouses. There I got my picture and a cool patch. They talked to us for a little bit and gave us instruction on another meeting that we got to attend with our spouses. During that meeting Matt and everyone else was recognized for completing Philmont Training. He got a certificate, more patches, a scarf and a fun Bolo Tie. His is of a Scottish man named Scottie. It's fun that he has that because his father went to Scotland on his mission and he has ancestors from there.
All the guys had a photo op with all their Philmont souvenirs.
After that meeting we had a final meeting with our Stake and a few other wards and had a Testimony Meeting. We all got to bare our testimonies.
Till dinner we had free time. We bought more patches and souvenirs to remember our trip. After dinner they had an Closing Ceremony where everyone had the opportunity to do a skit with their groups. Evan did a little patriotic skit. Alex would of been up there with him but he stayed with us of course.

A lady from my group made up fun lyrics to the Book of Mormon Stories tune
Matt and his group sang a beautiful song from the Hymn book. At that point it was too dark to record.
The rest of the night we got our stuff ready to head home in the early morning.

Day 8
After Breakfast we got our remaining possessions in the car and headed home. It was bittersweet for all of us. Well Matt and I really. We were excited to get home and get back to our routine but sad to leave such a fun place. Evan had too much fun and just cried as we were leaving. We hope we will be able to return again some day. We made great timing getting home. We didn't caravan like we did on the way up. We got back into town early enough to stop by our parent's place to tell them about our week, give them presents and Matt's dad was able to tell us about the Thompson Reunion that we missed. Matt's dad proposed to Lin :). We're having a wedding in September!
 

0 comments: