Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Merry Christmas at Wal-Mart

I really don't know where to begin in what I want to say because I'm just so shocked. I'm sure the shock of it wont ware off any time soon.
Tonight, even though it was getting late, I decided to go do my weekly grocery shopping since the rest of the week is just crazy for us and we needed some things for activities that are happening before Friday. After making sure I had everything I needed off my list I got in line to pay for it. Matt won a $20 gift card at his company Christmas party and he told me to use it to pay for the White Elephant gift he needed for his party on Friday. There was a miscommunication between the cashier and I. She thought I wanted to add $20.00 to the card instead of actually using it, causing a delay. One of the customers waiting in line came up to me and said he will pay for it because he thought my card was being declined. I told him thank you but it's just a mix up with a gift card. He went back in line. At this point I'm extremely embarrassed because I was causing a big hold up and probably everyone is thinking I can't pay for my stuff. After a few mins he came back and gave me $26.00 and told me to keep my gift card and Merry Christmas. I tried giving it back but he insisted. Time was still passing by and they decided to finally void the transaction and take me to a different register near by to re-ring everything up. I tried again to give him back the money but again he insisted. After waiting for my stuff to be rung up again I can just see this guy in the corner of my eye coming back over to me and gave me more cash, gave me a hug and said Marry Christmas. I picked the money up and tried to give it to him and he just put his hand up and said you deserve it and made sure the cashier took the money to use it to pay for my things. The Cashier was a little shocked too but began telling me this has happened a few times today. People just randomly handing over money to people they don't even know. In the end this guy ended up giving me $226.00 and my groceries only came to $97. As I'm walking out of Wal-Mart I was shocked but felt guilty at the same time because we don't need this money. After putting the stuff in the car and driving towards the free-way I felt very grateful for this stranger that did such a selfless act of kindness and thought of a family who could use the money. When I got home I took out the rest of the money and Matt looks at it and says, "where did that come from?" I told him what happened and his response was "what?" I ended up telling the story four times before he understood it all. He couldn't believe it and asked questions about the guy. I didn't even think to get his name because I was just shocked. Matt too thought we needed to give the entire $226 away to a family that's in need of it and we both thought of the same family without even discussing it. It's a miracle the way the Lord works and we're grateful that we have been an instrument in helping another family this Christmas.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! That's just awesome! When I first started reading, I thought the guy probably got mad at you. That's just amazing!! Merry Christmas!!

dawn said...

WOW! Its so nice to know there are giving people still that know the really meaning of a selfless act! I think its wonderful that you guys paid the good deed forward! This made me cry so if it was me I probably would be balling! So sweet!

Likeursoperfect said...

WOW! It's amazing that there are still people out there that are willing to do things like this. And you and Matt are just as wonderful! You are amazing. =)

Austin and Amy Smith said...

Austin told me this story and I responded with "wow" and a dropped jaw like the whole time. Really cool and especially because of the season! Merry Christmas!